I remember as a child being immediately transported to far away lands by
the stories that my kindergarten teacher read to us at carpet time. I can remember my favorite stories far
better than I can remember the formulas and algorithms that my math teacher
taught us in high school. When we
tell and hear stories, those stories tend to stick with us and become part of
our core base of knowledge. By
incorporating digital storytelling into our classrooms we are not only helping
our students retain the knowledge that we are trying to impart upon them, we
are also encouraging their comprehension of the topics that they are retelling.
In Benjamin Porter’s, Digital Storytelling Across the Curriculum, he
says, “The digital storytelling
process helps us transform isolated facts into illuminated, enduring
understandings.” As teachers we
hope that our students will remember the core of what we teach in years to
come. I took time to think about Benjamin Porter’s words and what the whole
idea of digital storytelling would mean for my classroom. I imagined the number stories that my
students could create that illuminated measurement, money and grouping. My students could use meaningful
pictures and words to connect to these math concepts, peer sharing their work
to help other students. I would also be able to use those digital stories to
assess their understanding. I
thought about how children developing their digital stories could replace
biographical movies and documentaries played after historical units. How exciting would it be for students
to share their own works with their classmates.
Digital Storytelling not only connects what we’re teaching
to the things that they find important and meaningful, it also implements the use of technological
skills that they will need in the future.
Our students will be learning how to combine, photograph, animation,
text, video and so many other facets to effectively communicate with the
world. As I become more aware of
the educational tools that are available to my students, I get more and more excited about the
possibilities for my classroom and the learning that will happen there.
Your recollection of carpet time stories compared to HS math algorithms is a great example of the power of storytelling! Your enthusiasm and thoughtful reflections about the possible use of storytelling and technology in your future classroom reflect your passion for teaching. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete