Sometimes new ideas and innovations in education can feel like
reinventing the wheel. Changing the
pedagogical model of the way that we instruct students seems dangerous and a
little crazy at first glance. I started
to think about the way that we learn as adults in general. If I want to make a dish for dinner that is
unfamiliar to me, the first thing that I do is web surf to find an interesting recipe.
I may find a video or pictorial to further assist me before I prepare the
meal. Once I’ve made the meal, it may
not be perfect on the first try. I will
probably need to practice making that meal a few times before I get it just
right. Sometimes I may even need a
friend or loved one who is familiar with the dish come in and act as a sous
chef. I think that sometimes in teaching
we give our students a lecture about the ingredients and send them home and
expect that they will come back the next day having prepared the perfect
meal. The flipped classroom allows
students to have exposure to content before they come to class, and use
classroom time as a time to work with the teacher as a facilitator.
The more that I read about the ‘Flipped Classroom,’ I realized that this
was a very innovative way to learn.
Allowing students to come to class with their own questions and
reservations that they have about the materials, and being able to work through
those problems with their peers and teachers.
I thought about the many benefits that the flipped classroom offers. It
gives the teacher the ability to help the students who need further support,
but it also allows for pushing our gifted students to further their knowledge
in ways that wouldn’t be possible if the student were at home with ‘homework.’
I could see how this method would also greatly alleviate the stress of
parents who have students who come home with homework that they do not know how
to support them with. This especially rings true in the 21st
century, with all of the new math innovations, such as everyday math that many
parents are completely unfamiliar with.
I love the idea of pushing our thinking, and finding new ways to help
our student’s learn. Ways that may make
us feel uncomfortable at first in their uncommonness, but understanding that we
are willing to do whatever it takes to see our students to succeed.
Excellent analogy to cooking/making a new dish! Having class time to "play with the ingredients and try things out", with the support of the teacher as well as fellow students, creates a more engaging learning environment. The parental support that this model provides is an added bonus! Do you see yourself using this model in your future classroom? What will you need to do to help ensure its success?
ReplyDelete